Useful or Beautiful Challenge: Submit your entry by Monday 19 February 2018
It’s simple: salvage discarded materials from across UAL’s buildings and repurpose them into something useful, beautiful or both! If you are inspired to create something tell your colleagues or fellow students, get together and agree a time during Green Week ’18 and start salvaging and creating. This is a cross-College competition and it is your chance to have your work judged by an esteemed antiques restorer, dealer, salvage hunter and TV personality Drew Pritchard is our guest judge. Drew has a passion for the arts and crafts movement, the work of William Morris and upcycling. Drew Pritchard is a presenter on a TV show ‘Salvage Hunters’.
How Useful or Beautiful works:
- The design challenge will take place for one day during Green Week (12th – 16th Feb 2018). Agree a time during Green Week ’18 to salvage discarded materials from accessible waste bins in your College and create your piece. There is a workshop taking place on Thursday 15 February 2018 to help students create submissions – to attend email; Rosie Willatt email@example.com.
- Work in a team from your College, there is no team size limit but we recommend a minimum of 5 people.
- Materials used must be waste materials found across the university (it is acceptable to use new fixtures such as nails to create the final piece but it should use 90% waste material).
- Each team will submit their entry in the form of a photo(s) using the online form here.
- The entries will be passed electronically to members of UAL’s Operating Board on Monday 19th February 2018 where they will be able to award their first, second and third place entry.
Deadline for submissions – 19 February 2018